Polymer Materials and Textile Chemistry :
It is currently working on the modification and optimization of processes relating to polymers (synthesis, modification and treatment) and the variables used in their industrial applications (drug delivery, insertion of biomolecules, encapsulation of active ingredients, absorption of chemical species, compounds) and control of the properties of the end product (permeability, desorption kinetics, colour, mechanical properties, surface characteristics, durability).
Part of the POLQUITEX research group is dedicated to the structural characterization and determination of the mechanical behaviour of sustainable composites. These are materials formed of recycled polymers that have been reinforced with lignocellulose fibres obtained from waste wood and brush. Also included under sustainable compounds are compounds that use as reinforcement elastomeric particles obtained in the process of reusing tires. Characterization of both types of compositions is carried out at mechanical, thermal and structural level (configurational and conformational).
These materials are obtained using different methods:
- Samples in the form of film (using a process of dissolution and evaporation, with appropriate solvents).
- Halteri-type samples obtained by pressing.
Different types of surface treatments are also used (chlorination, sulphuric acid, plasma), as well as binding agents such as silane in order to improve adhesion between components.
The interactions between the competent components are analysed using FTIR, DSC, SEM, TEM, and other techniques, taking into account four variables:
- Type of matrix
- Percentage of reinforcement
- Preparation method
- Type of surface treatment to improve compatibility
Characterization of mechanical behaviour focuses on the following:
- Tensile strength
- Elastic modulus
- Flow deformation
- Breaking strain
based on the above parameters.
Finally, these composite materials, once obtained and characterized, are subjected to different degradation and ageing processes.
Relevant equipment :
- Laboratory for the preparation, characterization and study of degradation and ageing processes in polymers and composite materials.
- Equipment for preparing composite materials (roller mixer, hot-plate press).
- ATR-FTIR spectroscopy unit.
- Equipment for characterization of mechanical properties.
MANUEL JOSÉ LIS ARIAS
Scientific output :